Homemade French Bread and Aprince Silicone Baking Mat Set Review
I don’t think there is much that is more comforting to me than walking into a room that smells of fresh baked bread. It makes me feel safe and loved – bizarre right? But definitely true. Certain scents are very powerful and for me fresh baked bread is one.
So – now onto the star of today’s post. Homemade French Bread! This recipe comes directly from Meals to Deals – I have modified the directions but the recipe is exactly the same. I love baking bread but this baking session was inspired by a new product I had received to review.
- 2 1/2 c. warm water
- 2 Tbls. yeast
- 3 Tbls. sugar
- 2 Tbls. white vinegar
- 1 Tbls. salt
- 1/3 c. oil
- 6-7 c. flour (or a little more if the dough is still sticky)
- 1 egg
- In the bowl of your stand mixer add the warm water, yeast, sugar, and white vinegar together and let sit until bubbly (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the salt and oil.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time--add enough until the dough is no longer sticky and comes away from the sides of the stand mixer when kneading.
- Knead for 2-5 minutes.
- Bring water to boiling in a small saucepan
- Place the dough in a greased bowl in the oven (turned off) with the boiling water - let rise for roughly 30 minutes.
- Repeat the rising process a second time.
- Remove from oven and divide dough into two sections.
- Place silicone baking mats on two cookie sheets.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll out one section of dough. Once you have a big rectangle start with the shorter side and roll your loaf. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat for second section of dough.
- Use a knife slash diagonally across your loaves 3-5 times.
- Beat one egg and brush over the top of the loaves of bread.
- Let rise 30 minutes on the counter (or put them in the oven at 170 and wait until they are the size you want them to cook at - once they are at the right size turn the oven up to 375 and bake until done).
- Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for roughly 30 minutes (I bake until the top is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped).
Aprince Silicone Baking Mat Set Review
I received the Aprince Silicone Baking Mat Set to conduct an honest review. (I am not an Amazon Affiliate so I do not receive anything if you purchase this product). The set includes two silicone mats. I decided to use them in my pans when baking my homemade french bread.
I usually spray my pans with cooking spray and then dust with cornmeal – instead I inserted the baking mats. I placed the bread directly on the mats and baked for 30 minutes. When I removed the bread from the oven I easily lifted the bread off the pan to the cooling sheet. Usually even after spraying and dusting with cornmeal the bread would stick.
These were amazing to use – they made clean up very fast and simple. I can’t wait to test them when I bake cookies.
If you like baking these are a must have item! They make your life much easier as the baked goods pop right off the tray versus sticking.
***I received the baking mat set complimentary for my honest review***