How to Make Fingerprint Gingerbread Man Ornaments
Do you have a favorite theme for your holiday decorating? I definitely do! I LOVE gingerbread men – my kitchen, most of my living room and one whole tree are dedicated to my gingerbread man collection. This year I decided it would be fun to make a decoration with the kids that I could add to the gingerbread tree. The kids created their own fingerprint gingerbread man ornaments and had a blast while making them!
- Clear glass or plastic ornament (round)
- Brown Decorative Shred
- Brown acrylic paint
- White, red and green dimensional paint (ours says fabric paint on the bottle but it worked perfectly!)
- Red and green ribbon
- Help your child take the top of the ornament off
- Stuff the ornament with the brown paper shred
- Put the top of the ornament back on
- Have your child dip their thumb into the brown paint to create the head and torso (my daughter chose to use the side of thumb)
- Next have your child dip their index finger into the brown paint to create the arms and legs
- My daughter chose to make her ornament a gingerbread woman so she added a tutu skirt
- Allow the brown paint to dry fully
- Using the red, white and green dimensional paint have your child add a face and decorate the gingerbread man
- Allow paint to dry fully (this takes a bit longer then the brown paint as it is applied much more thickly)
- Attach a red or green ribbon to the ornament top and make a bow
- Attach another red or green ribbon to the ornament top and create a hanger
- Optional: personalize the ornaments by adding your child’s name and the year on the back
Both of my children love the ornaments they made. I will proudly hang them on my gingerbread tree this year. This ornament is part of my Kid Made Christmas Ornaments Blog Hop – stay tuned all week for over 20 additional ornaments to be shared.
If you are looking for some additional Christmas Ornament ideas take a look at this great book from Maggy Woodley of Red Ted Art! Click the image below to find more information or purchase your own copy.
So cute what a lovely gift these would make 🙂
Thanks! I adore them and can’t wait to put up my Gingerbread themed tree and add them to my collection 🙂
This is a great idea to engage my kids in creativity this holiday season. Both my kids love the gingerbread man theme what better than they designing their own gingerbread man ornaments. These materials are so easily available and the instructions are also very easy to comprehend..My kids are going to love it. Thanks a tonn!
Thank you! I love Gingerbread Man Ornaments and we had such fun making them. A great memory of childhood for when my kids are adults! Have fun 🙂