Kids in the Kitchen: Mini Ice Cream Cakes
There isn’t much better in summer then ice cream (or any time of the year honestly!). I LOVE ice cream and so do my kids. I decided to work with the kids to create mini ice cream cakes that they could personalize to their individual likings.
- Vanilla ice cream (or any flavor)
- Chocolate chips and/or any other type of candy (this is where the kids can get really creative)
- Baking spray
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Pick a small container – we used a heart shaped pan but you could use any small container even a muffin tin.
- Spray the container with baking spray.
- Scoop a thin layer of ice cream into the bottom layer of the container.
- Sprinkle some chocolate chips and cut up Kit Kat (or any other candy) on top of the bottom layer of ice cream.
- Cover the candy with another layer of ice cream.
- Place the entire container into the freezer so it can refreeze.
- Allow the ice cream to remain in the freezer until it is fully frozen.
- Run a knife around the edge of the container and release the mini ice cream cake onto a serving dish.
- Top the mini ice cream cake with whipped cream.
- Finish by garnishing with chocolate sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
The kids loved making their ice cream cakes and eating them too! We didn’t allow quite enough time for ours to refreeze as the kiddos were too excited to eat them 🙂
Read on for some great links in the Ice Cream Free Unit Study:
Ice Cream Recipes for Kids Look! We’re Learning!
Ice Cream Books for Kids The Jenny Evolution
Ice Cream Color Match from Schooling A Monkey
Ice Cream Trails Around The World from FrogMom
Fluffy Ice Cream Slime from Schooling a Monkey
Ice Cream Letter Puzzle Printable from Living Life and Learning
Ice Cream Word Families from Homeschool Preschool
Ice Cream Art from CraftCreateCalm