Sorting and Counting with Die-Cast Trains
Do you have a ton of Die-Cast Trains in your house? My son LOVES Thomas so we do! Play with an educational twist by sorting and counting with die-cast trains.
This was an easy activity that was fun for my son as we were using one of his favorite kind of toys. We used the Thomas & Friends Die-Cast trains for this fun and educational activity (but you could easily swap out to any small toy that you have a large number and variety of).
- Thomas & Friends Die-Cast Trains
- Gather up the toy you plan to use – we pulled out our bin with Die-Cast Trains.
- Ask your child how they would like to sort the trains – Buddy chose to sort by color.
- Have your child tell you the name of the color they are sorting and have them create separate piles of each color.
- After all the trains are sorted have your child count them.
- Once all the trains are counted have your child tell you which number is largest and smallest.
- Finally enjoy some free play!
I love when I can find fun and educational activities that really interest my son. Including some of his favorite toys and adding an educational spin was a great way to interest him and keep him involved for a longer period of time.
Take a look below for links to some other great educational activities that use small toys you most likely already have in the house.
Car Parking Lot Preschool Math Grid Game from Life Over C’s
Alphabet Car Wash from Learning 2 Walk
Directionality Activity with Small Cars from Teach Me Mommy
Forest Animals Letter Sounds Activity from Stir the Wonder
Learning Shapes with Toy Cars from Adventures of Adam
What Makes Ice Melt Fastest from Raising Little Superheroes
Fun DIY Phonics Game from Mum in the Madhouse
What Do Animals Eat? Classification Activity from Schooling a Monkey
Color Mixing with Toy Cars from The Kindergarten Connection
AM and PM Time Telling with Shopkins from Sugar Aunts
Sorting Animals Venn Diagram Activity from Mom Inspired Life
Hands-on Way to Learn Letter Sounds from School Time Snippets
Fairies & STEM Activities: Gardening with Kids from Edventures with Kids
Name & Letter Practice: A Painting With Toy Car Activity from Play Dough & Popsicles
Learning Letters & Reading With Cars! from Preschool Powol Packets
Shopkins Sorting from Still Playing School