Super Bowl Cupcakes
So the time has finally come – my first baking post! Super Bowl Sunday is upon us – in all reality I watch the Super Bowl for the ads but my husband is a big football fan. This Super Bowl isn’t exactly what he was hoping for as he is a Jets fan but for the rest of my family this great! We are proud New Englanders!
In our house we always have a Super Bowl party with the kids – this entails a picnic dinner on the living room floor at 5pm and watching the Puppy Bowl! The kids think eating in the living room is AMAZING! So for our party we have all finger foods and I usually try to bake a dessert as well. I was going to make football shaped sugar cookies but when we went to Shaw’s (a local supermarket) today I found a dozen plastic football rings for 99 cents and they are themed for the Super Bowl – some are Patriots helmets, some are generic footballs, and a couple have Super Bowl XLIX on them. The kids love these kind of rings in their dress up box so they killed two birds with one stone – awesome themed dessert and dress up accessory!
Baking Super Bowl Cupcakes
I occasionally bake cakes from scratch but typically just use a boxed mix – its faster and easier and honestly sometimes comes out better. Today I went to the cupboard to see what kind of cake mixes I had on hand. I found the perfect cake mix for these cupcakes! I picked this cake mix up on clearance after the 4th of July. What could be better than cupcakes with Patriots colors inside them?
Making the Cupcakes
- Make cupcakes per directions on the box
- Bake for 18 minutes
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place them on a cooling rack
While the cupcakes were in the oven I got out my trusty Betty Crocker’s cookbook. She has been through a lot with me, being singed on an oven, smeared with dirty fingers, pages ripped out, and had water spilled in her. Still shes my go to girl!
Creamy Cocoa Frosting Recipe
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter – softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3-4 tbs milk
Creamy Cocoa Frosting Directions
- Mix the powdered sugar and butter until fully combined.
- Add the vanilla and cocoa, mix.
- Add milk to reach desired consistency.
Decorating Super Bowl Cupcakes
- After the cupcakes cooled completely, I got out a Wilton disposable piping bag and star tip (#18 is what I used). Typically I would have made some white frosting as well to pipe the football lines but I had this Cake Mate confetti gel from a previous project that I wanted to use up.
- I piped on the brown for the football.
- Then used the confetti gel to pipe the lines.
- After I finished piping all of the cupcakes I had Boo Boo come help with the ring placement – she was very excited to get to help!
The finished product was very easy cupcake that looks great!
I hope everyone has a fun and safe time at any Super Bowl parties they attend. Lets go Pats!
***This is one of the first posts I ever wrote (originally published on January 31, 2015). I went back in to update and edit the pictures now that I have developed my skills more. I republished this as the content is relevant to the upcoming Super Bowl!***