DIY Butterfly Painted Vases for Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day is just around the corner – it will be here before we know it! Today the kids and I created homemade DIY Butterfly Painted Vases for Mother’s Day. I fell in love with this Footprint Butterfly Flower Pot from Mama Papa Bubba and decided to create my own craft with this as my main inspiration. I searched on Pinterest to see what else was out there and came upon a Mother’s Day Mason Jar Craft from Christinia’s Adventures. Both of these projects are beautiful and helped shape the direction of our Painted Vases.
- Leftover interior or exterior paint
- Acrylic paint (I let the kids pick from the colors I had on hand)
- Paint Marker (black)
- Paint brush
- Artificial Flowers
- Cardstock (to print the tags)
- Happy Mother’s Day Tag (I used these from Vintage Glam Studio)
- Cover your work station in newspaper
- Pour some paint inside the vase – have your child swirl the paint around to coat the entire vase
- They will probably need help to coat the top of the vase
- When the entire vase is painted hold upside down to allow excess paint to drip out
- Have your child pick out two or three acrylic paint colors for the butterfly
- Paint your child’s heel one color and then the top of their foot another color (we moved to the floor for this step)
- Hold the vase steady (I held it against my leg) and have your child press their foot against the vase (I had them press their heel first and then the top of their foot)
- With our vases it was hard to get the toes to print clearly so I had the kids dip their fingers in paint and make toe prints as necessary
- Let dry overnight
- Draw the butterfly body with the black paint marker
- Print out or make tags
- When the body is dry tie some ribbon around the vase and attach the tag
- Insert artificial flowers
- Give as a gift and make your mother or grandmother very happy 🙂
This was a fun project to do with the kids. I would recommend finding vases that don’t have as much of a lip as ours did to make creating the footprint butterfly a little easier. The end result is beautiful though and will make a fantastic Mother’s Day present 🙂
Welcome Deanna from Play Dough & Popsicles!
I’m so excited to collaborate with Deanna again! You can find Deanna at her website Play Dough & Popsicles.
In our Mother’s Day collaboration Deanna is sharing her Washi Tape Quilted Flower Pot Wind Chime. It is very cute and would be a great gift to make for Mother’s Day 🙂
Find some more great ways to celebrate mom this Mother’s Day below:
Mother’s Day Printable Cards (Varieties For Multiple Ages) from Playdough and Popsicles
Board Books about Moms from The Jenny Evolution
Breakfast for Mom made by Kids from The Moments at Home
Mother’s Day for Outdoorsy Moms from FrogMom
If you want more great resources visit the home base of our Free Unit Studies and find 60+ topics and 100’s of fun and informative blog posts.
Take a look at some other fun Mother’s Day ideas on my Pinterest board:
Follow Crafty Mama in ME’s board Mother’s Day on Pinterest.