Homemade Pizza and Garlic Knots
The other day I asked kids what they wanted to make, Boo Boo said pizza, Buddy said garlic bread. Most of the time I use frozen pizza dough balls from Sam’s Club that we buy in bulk for pizza. The thing with those is that I have to plan ahead to get the dough out of the freezer to allow it to defrost and rise – that is usually an all day process. Recently I had found and made a recipe for garlic knots. The dough is pretty easy and really quick for a yeast dough so I thought lets use that and make a double batch to have enough to make both Homemade Pizza and Garlic Knots!
The recipe comes from The Recipe Critic website and can be found here. I make the dough exactly as her recipe says but I changed the garlic spread slightly.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- First we started with the dough recipe – as we were making a pizza and garlic knots I doubled the recipe.
- Put the yeast, warm water, and sugar in the bowl of the stand mixer and let the yeast activate and get bubbly – roughly 5 minutes.
- Once the yeast was activated we added the salt and flour and mixed until the dough had formed a ball and was not sticking to the bowl anymore.
- After we had a dough ball I took the dough out – sprayed the bowl with cooking spray and placed it back in to rise on the pellet stove.
- This recipe only calls for letting the dough rise 10 minutes so it is perfect to use when you are pinched for time.
- After the dough had risen I cut the ball in half and preheat the oven to 450º on the convection setting (I find this gives a crisper crust more like brick oven). I returned the half for the garlic knots to the pellet stove and rolled the pizza dough out into a circle.
- I sprayed the pizza pan with olive oil cooking spray to help ensure the pizza wouldn’t stick.
- Once the pan was greased I moved the dough on and then the fun starts! Boo Boo loves to put on the sauce.
- After sauce I lightly sprinkle the pizza with garlic powder and pizza seasoning. Next the kids add the cheese and whatever toppings we pick – this time it was turkey pepperoni and turkey bacon.
- Once the toppings are complete we popped the pizza into the preheated oven for roughly 18 minutes.
Garlic Knot Instructions
- While the pizza was cooking we started on the garlic knots. I retrieved the dough and rolled it out. After rolling I cut it into pieces with a pizza cutter.
- Once the dough is in strips I roll it into a long rope.
- Next I fold it over and roll it together.
- Finally I tie it in a knot.
- Repeat for all of the dough. Turn the oven down to 400º after the pizza finishes and bake 15-20 minutes.
While the knots are baking making the garlic spread.
Garlic Spread Recipe
I basically reduced by half – they were amazing as the recipe stated but I thought that they would still be good with a little less butter – I was right 🙂
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive oil
While the knots finish baking – brush them with the garlic spread.
This was a pretty easy lunch to make and definitely so yummy! If you like pizza or garlic knots I would recommend you try this easy recipe. Enjoy – I know we did!