Educational Playtime with Duplo® – Sorting, Estimating, and Building
Do you have a lot of Lego® Duplo® blocks at your house? Are you looking for an activity to do with your kids that adds an additional educational element to playtime? Today I told my son that we were going to do a project with our Duplo® blocks and he was so excited. Our project was Educational Playtime with Duplo® – Sorting, Estimating, and Building.
We had fun working together to sort the Duplo® blocks in to piles by colors. It was most interesting to watch Buddy determine where the blocks went – especially for some of the multi colored ones. I was impressed with his reasoning skills while sorting. He was excited to sort the blocks and finished this part of the project quickly.
In this step we did a few different things.
- Estimate which color pile had the most blocks
- Estimate which color pile has the least blocks
- Talk about which color piles looked roughly the same size
- OPTIONAL: You could take this a step further if your child is older and have them check their estimates by counting the piles
This was my Buddy’s favorite step of course! He loves to build with the Duplo® blocks. He got a train Duplo® set for Christmas last year and it is still a favorite. He loves that he has the wheeled flatbed cars to create whatever he wants on top of.
I was surprised to see that Buddy continued using his blocks based on our sorted piles. He built a super tall train with a red car, a blue car, and two green cars.
I haven’t officially posted about our puppy Lucy on the blog but I will someday soon. But in case you wonder how doing kids activities and having a puppy go take a look at this photo. If I’m on the floor with the kids she is in my lap. If I’m at my desk typing – 80% of the time she is in my lap. I think somebody will be a sad pup when she doesn’t fit anymore.
This post is part of a whole group of posts about Lego® Duplo® blocks. If you are looking for some more inspiration take a look at the links below.
- LEGO Addition Mat for Greater Than/Less Than from Life Over C’s
- Duplo Lego Geoboard from Still Playing School
- Duplo Consonant Blends Activity from Learning 2 Walk
- Educational Playtime with Duplo – Sorting, Estimating and Building from Crafty Mama in ME
- LEGO DUPLO Sight Word Towers from Mom Inspired Life
- Build A Lego Catapult from Powerful Mothering
- Geometric Blueprints with LEGO from Handmade Kids Art
- Slippery Lego Duplo Fine Motor Practice from Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Penguin Ice Cube Counting With LEGO from Preschool Powol Packets
- Word Building with LEGOS from Sugar Aunts
- Hands-on Science: Creating a Water Cycle Project using LEGO from Edventures with Kids
- Lego Tower Subtraction Race from The Kindergarten Connection
- Lego: 5 reasons you should use it with your kids from The Usual Mayhem
- Lego Heart Marble Maze from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Dumping Lego Colour Match Activity from Teach me Mommy
- Feed the Duplo Alien from Adventures of Adam
- How To Create A Duplo Block Painting from Raising Little Superheroes
- Letter Sequencing with Lego Duplo from School Time Snippets
- Lego ordering, days of the week from In The Playroom
- Dental Flossing with Duplo from Study at Home Mama
- LEGO Math Ten Frame Games from Lalymom