Chocolate Zucchini Cake
It’s the height of summer here in Maine and that means one thing right now – I’m up to my eyeballs in zucchini!!! Our garden is producing enough to feed our family and probably at least 3 or 4 others. Its zucchini madness!!
I have been cooking zucchini, grilling zucchini, and pretty much any other way you can think of. I like to bake with it as well so Boo Boo and I decided to whip up a chocolate zucchini cake.
This is a recipe from a magazine called Countryside & Small Stock Journal by Marie Gerster from Ohio. My neighbor let me borrow it to photocopy all of the zucchini recipes last year and we decided to test this recipe – it is really quite good!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan or 2- 8 inch round pans.
- Mix the sugar, butter, oil, vanilla, and eggs until creamy
- Add the cocoa, flour, and baking soda – beat until mixed
- Add the milk and zucchini and mix until fully integrated
- Last add the chocolate chips and nuts (I didn’t add nuts) and mix
- Bake for 35-45 minutes
I baked this cake in two round pans as I wanted to keep one for us and take one up to the neighbors. I served this without any frosting but I think a simple buttercream or even a cream cheese frosting would be very tasty on it. I also think the cake recipe would make a tasty base for whoopie pies.
Does anyone have a favorite zucchini recipe to share? I would love to hear about them and try them in our kitchen – either sweet or savory!