How to Make a DIY Minecraft Creeper Piñata
Does your child love Minecraft? Both of my kids do! My son decided his 6th birthday party theme was going to be Minecraft and I have to admit prior to planning the party my knowledge of Minecraft was definitely limited. I did what every crazy party planning mama does and took to Pinterest and my favorite party supply site – Oriental Trading Company for inspiration. I found a picture of a Minecraft Piñata that looked like it would be easy to make but no directions. I have made Piñatas before and enjoy it so I decided to share how to make a DIY Minecraft Creeper Piñata with you in case you wanted to make one yourself.
Over at Oriental Trading Company I found some awesome Minecraft inspired items to use for prizes in the Piñata – check these out!
I also got these treat bags for the kids to use to put all of their goodies in as they collected them.
- Cardboard Box (pick the size that fits your needs)
- Print out the Minecraft Happy Birthday sign (available here)
- Crepe paper (green, black and blue)
- Hot Glue gun/glue sticks
- Duct Tape
- Wire (or something similar) for fashioning a hanger
- Treats and prizes
- Cut two small holes in the top of the box
- Reinforce the box at the top where the hanger will be so the top doesn’t rip out before the box opens – we used a piece of wood
- Feed the rope through the wood and box (or just the box)
- Attach a hanger (my husband used a piece of metal) but you could use just the rope
- Fill the box with treats
- Use Duct tape and seal the box
- Plug in the hot glue gun
- Attach the Minecraft picture on one large side of the box
- Start unrolling crepe paper
- Use scissors and create notches on the bottom of the crepe paper roughly 1 inch apart across the entire length (this creates volume and makes the piñata look more like its store bought)
- Start applying notched crepe paper – I worked from top to bottom (as my piñata was multi colored I did one large side and small side in each color)
- Apply dabs of hot glue to the box – stick on crepe paper
- As needed stop and notch more crepe paper
- Cover the top and bottom of the box with crepe paper as well
- Create a tail with a few strips of each color of crepe paper
- Admire your completed piñata
- Watch as children
destroy your hard workgleefully wack the piñata!
These Free Minecraft Printables from Catch My Party are amazing! I used the water bottle wrappers, cupcake toppers and the Happy Birthday sign. Whenever you are planning a party make sure you do a Pinterest search to see what you can pull up for free goodies like these <3