How to Make a Patterned Paper Plate Snake
I love crafting with my kids and enjoy making themed crafts that they find fun. Today’s craft has a backstory. There are not many animals that I absolutely dislike but snakes are certainly one of them. As such – my son thinks they are amazing. Does anyone else have a child that absolutely adores anything that makes you cringe and/or scream?!? I know its all in good fun so I decided to make a not so scary snake we could both enjoy.
- Paper Plate
- Tissue paper (cut into small squares)
- White glue
- Googly eye
- Red pipe cleaner
- Gather all materials
- Cut tissue paper into small squares – you need at least two different colors (I keep a bunch of bags of pre-cut tissue paper that we use for various projects on hand)
- Trace the shape of the snake onto the paper plater
- Have your child cut along the line to create their snake (or you could pre-cut if the child is too young to cut themselves)
- Put white glue on a plate
- Have your child crumple tissue paper, dip it in the glue and stick it on the snake body to create a line
- Repeat this step with the other color
- Alternate between the two colors until the entire snake body is covered
- Attach a google eye to the head of the snake
- Cut a small piece of the red pipe cleaner off, dip in glue and stick to the bottom side of the snakes head
This is a great way for children to hone some of their fine motor skills. They can practice cutting, crumpling, gluing and patterning all in one project. The best benefit – they can make a friendly snake that most mommy’s won’t be scared of!
Our snake represents letter “S” in the 31 Days of ABC over at All Done Monkey
After taking a break last year due to the arrival of Baby #3, we are back with one of my favorite series, the 31 Days of ABC! You can look forward to 31 more days of activities, crafts, books, apps, and more, all dedicated to teaching young children the alphabet.
I am so happy to be working with an amazing group of kid bloggers, who will be sharing their amazing ideas with us in the coming days. And this year for the first year we are also adding a giveaway, so be sure to scroll to the end and enter for a chance to win!
So join us as we jump, skip, hop, and read our way through the alphabet this October!
Don’t forget to follow our 31 Days of ABCs Pinterest board for even more great ABC ideas!
31 Days of ABC
Teaching the ABCs – October 1
A – October 2
B – October 3
C – October 4
D – October 5
E – October 6
F – October 7
G – October 8
H – October 9
I – October 10
J – October 11
K – October 12
L – October 13
M – October 14
N – October 15
O – October 16
P – October 17
Q – October 18
R – October 19
S – October 20
T – October 21
U – October 22
V – October 23
W – October 24
X – October 25
Y – October 26
Z – October 27
123’s – October 28
Prewriting – October 29
Books, Songs, & Apps – October 30
Alphabet Clip Cards – October 31
Don’t forget to enter for a chance to win this great prize package, open internationally!
3 month subscription to the Kidloland app, which includes 575+ interactive nursery rhymes, songs, stories, and educational activities to help children learn ABCs, animals, fruits, vegetables, shapes and more!
The Alphabet Experts Mega Bundle from Kindergarten Connections contains 500+ of alphabet printables, including tons of activities for each letter of the alphabet! ($58.50 value)
What a cute little snake!
Thanks! My son adores it!