Fun Ways to Enjoy Leaf Peeping in Maine
Have you ever been leaf peeping?? Do you even know what leaf peeping is? As a Mainer I’ve grown up with leaf peepers taking over every Fall as long as I can remember. Fall is beautiful up here and people travel from great distances to come and see the foliage at its peak. I’ve come up with a list of fun ways to enjoy leaf peeping in Maine.
The peak conditions vary and are broken out in regions. Pop over to Maine Foliage for an up to date report on the status of the leaf colors.
Fun Ideas for Leaf Peeping
- Head to Acadia National Park to enjoy the beautiful scenery and the leaves! You can hike or ride up the mountain and be immersed in the fall foliage.
- Go on a Fall Foliage driving tour. Get some sample itineraries here.
- Take a ride on the CAT Ferry from Portland to Nova Scotia! A five and a half hour trip on Fast Ferry will allow you to possibly see ocean animals and the beautiful Fall foliage (until October 1st only). You can find more information on things to do in Nova Scotia and places to stay on the Cat Ferry website.
- Enjoy a Windjammer Coastal Fall Foliage Cruise.
- Go on a scenic train ride – some offer special themed rides in the fall. For more information visit Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad and Downeast Scenic Railroad.
- Head to one of our local farms or orchards to pick apples or pumpkins. Find a list here.
- Visit a corn maze – my favorite in our region is located at Treworgy Farms – read about our last visit here.
- Visit the Fryeburg Fair. The fair will be running his year when the peak foliage is happening (October 2-9, 2016)
- Head outside and go hiking as a family – pack a picnic and relax outside.
- Go whitewater rafting – find additional information here.
Do you have any activities you do each year to enjoy the fall foliage? If so let me know in the comment section!
Here are some fun activities to do as a family this fall!